British Prime Minister David Cameron has announced he is standing aside and wants a new Prime Minister in place by October. It comes after a humiliating defeat for his Remain campaign after the UK voted to leave the European Union after a forty year membership.
The British leader said it would be up to a new Prime Minister to decide when to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which sets a two year deadline for negotiations to exit the EU block.
From London, Catherine Drew report
IN: " SFX SPEAKING
OUT: SOC
DUR: 3:10
AIR: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-air.mp3
ARN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-arn.mp3
GENERIC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-generic.mp3
ICRT: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-icrt.mp3
NIGERIA: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-von.mp3
938LIVE: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-938.mp3
RNZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-rnz.mp3
SABC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-sabc.mp3
VATICAN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-vatican.mp3
ZIZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0624BREXITCameron-cd-ziz.mp3
| TAKE SOUND UP: "The sun has risen on an independent Britain"
After overnight counting, the dawn brought a new reality. The historic decision for Britain to leave the European Union was a personal dream for one man , leader of the UK independence party, Nigel Farage. INSERT: "It's a victory for ordinary people, decent people. It's a victory against the big merchant banks, against the big businesses and against big politics. SCRIPT: The leave campaign's argument that Britain would be able to control it's borders, immigration levels and negotiate it's own trade deals had won the day. For one man the result, while close in per cent age points, was a resounding defeat. Prime minister david cameron faced the worlds media to say he was nt the man to take britain out of Europe. INSERT: "The British people have made the very clear decision to take a different path and as such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction. I will do everything I can as prime minister to steady the ship in coming weeks and months, but I do not think it would be right for me to try to be the captain that steers the country to its next destination. This is not a decision I have taken lightly, but I do believe that it is in the national interest to have a period of stability, and then the new leadership required." SCRIPT: The man perhaps best placed to replace david cameron… prominent leave campaigner and former london mayor boris johnson gave a very measured response to the victory…
The pound fell against major currencies and stock markets around the world reacted negatively to the news.
Bank of England governor Mark Carney sought to calm markets by saying billions more in support would be available if needed. Meanwhile Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon warned a second independence vote was likely after the UK voted to leave the EU….Scotland, like London and northern ireland had voted overwhelmingly to stay part of the european block.
For some young people in Westminster, the result was a shock. VOX: "I think leaving the EU was just a very sad choice." "I'm really shocked, I know people said it was going to be close but I never thought that it would never come to a Leave vote. Maybe it's coming from a younger group of people, I really thought it wasn't going to happen." SCRIPT: As the country gets to grips with it's new reality, thoughts also turn to who will replace David Cameron. Front runners include Prominent leave campaigners, former london mayor boris johnson and Justice secretary michael gove…. however others fro the remain side are likely to emerge.
The complex process of Britain extraction from the European Union must now begin but it will do so with a new cast of characters and jostling for the top job in British politics. Catherine Drew, SABC News, London |