Thursday, November 3, 2016

Polls tighten in US presidential election

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are criss-crossing key swing states as the polls tighten in the final few days before the US presidential election. 

On Wednesday with just seven days to go until all ballots are counted, the RealClearPolitics polling average finds Clinton leading Trump by just 2 percentage points nationally. 

President Obama has been on the stump for his former secretary of State in North Carolina telling voters the fate of the world rests on their shoulders.

Our Washington correspondent Kate Fisher reports.

IN: "As the gap..."
OUT: SOC
DUR:01'52



SCRIPT:

As the gap in the polls decreases, so the rhetoric decreases. 

"I hate to put a little pressure on you but the fate of the republic rests on your shoulders. And you north Carolina that we push it in the right direction."

As the President pushes for Hillary Clinton, her rival Donald Trump has continued his attacks during his three rallies in Florida:

"This is the biggest scandal since Watergate. Now it's been reported. It's about time"

The President took to social media outlet Now This News to defend his former secretary of state:

"I trust her. I know her. I wouldn't be supporting her if I didn't have absolute confidence in her integrity and her interest in young people having a better future." 

For more than 20 million Americans all this campaigning will make no difference - they've already cast their ballots in early voting at polling stations like this one in Maryland which has been open for nearly a week.

VOXS
"just want it all to be over"

With their woman only 2 points clear in the polls, many democrats will be feeling the same as this unpredictable race enters its final week.

Kate Fisher, Washington