Tuesday, March 8, 2016

8th March: Historic candidacy of Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton is making her second run for the White House and this time around, it looks like she will win the Democratic nomination, to compete against the man the Republican Party nominates.

International Women's day coicides with a couple of key primaries in the U.S. presidential nominating contests which could solidify Hillary Clinton's march toward what would be an historic campaign.

Our U.S. correspondent Priscilla Huff reports:

IN: " This is not   ....
OUT: SOC
DUR: 3:33


****

TRACK
This is not Hillary Clinton's first run for the White House
She lost the Democratic Party nomination to Barack Obama in 2008.
She's not even the first woman to run
Shirley Chisholm made history in 1972, 
becoming the first woman to run for the Democratic Party nomination.
More than forty years later
Hillary Clinton is set to make history as the first woman to win that nomination.

TAKE BITE HILLARY

"I'm running for president to break down every barrier that stands in teh way of America fulfilling it's potential (CHEERS) and I want to make it possible for every single American, particularly young Americans, to go as far as you can!"

TRACK 
But young Americans have been turning to Bernie Sanders - a 74 year old white man - in droves.
Feminist theory Professor Elizabeth Velez at Georgetown University says, she understands why, but in the end, American politics needs Hillary Clinton

TAKE PROF VELEZ
"I understand, they want something pure, they want something that is different, we've never had a candidate who says outright, I'm a socialist of a kind and I think it's exciting for them. ?// In the end, we need someone who knows how the system works and Hillary Clinton, and I think Hillary Clinton is brilliant, perhaps even smarter than Bill."

TRACK
Hillary Clinton got her start in American politics in 1973 with a job as a staff attorney at the Children's Defence Fund - which worked on justice issues for children. Only one year earlier, in 1972 the U-S Congress had passed laws requiring equal funding for both women and men's sports....and a decade earlier lawmakers had tried to tackle incomes with the Equal Pay Act.
For supporters at Hillary Clinton's rallies, the historic disparity between men and women has not gone away.

TAKE CLIP
" and they try to make it sound like its an empire situation or this legacy, but it's not, it's about that it does take, unfortnately, women about seven times as long to get somewhere as a man, because there is this way that a man can kind of walk into a situation with a degree of entitlement and she does have to work a lot harder to be the first woman in the White House. "

TRACK
The U-S has had the first female speaker of the House - Nancy Pelosi - who would be third in line if anything were to happen to the president.
And women run huge corporations 
Indra Nooyi runs Pepsi - Irene Rosenfeld runs Kraft Foods - Virginia Rometty is the head of IBM
But history has yet to be made at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Professofer Elizabeth Velez

TAKE BITE
"It doesn't fix everything, it doesn't fix misogyny, it doesn't fix sexism, but personally to me, I mean, I cried when Barack Obama was sworn in // and yah, if I really get to see Hillary Clinton sworn in, if I really get to see Hillary Clinton sworn in, I will cry, and I will think, number one she is the best candidate for the united states, and number two, yah, it means something in my heart."

TRACK
If Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic nomination to become the first woman to run for the White House, she will face a tough, and potentially nasty battle from the Republican opposition.
Donald Trump - expected by many to be the nominee - may claim to love women - and especially his wife Melania and daughters Ivanka and Tiffany - but when it comes to politics - he's no gentleman.
--Priscilla Huff, Washington___


***ENDS***