Thursday, March 10, 2016

11th March: Is the Republican party imploding?

One thing just about everyone agrees with in the U.S. is that the nominating contest has revealed serious cracks in the Republican Party.

The party once known for Abraham Lincoln leadership during the American civil war and Ronald Reagan's vision of morning in America is now known for vulgar language and insults.

And as Our U.S. correspondent Priscilla Huff reports, the Republicans are known for a lot of voter anger.

IN: " This not my   ....
OUT: SOC
DUR: 3"04


****

TRACK
This not my father's Republican party,
Not when Donald Trump uses this kind of language to describe a mormon leader and former U-S presidential language Mitt Romney.

TAKE BITE TRUMP 

" I am not a fan of Barack Obama, and that was a race, and I backed Mitt Romney. I backed him. You can see how loyal he is. He was begging for my endorsement. I could have said Mitt drop to your knees, he would have dropped to his knees. He was begging. He was begging me. "

TRACK
Despite his rude language, Donald Trump keeps winning nominating contests....
and he's on track to become the Republican Presidential nominee.
His rival TED CRUZ thinks he knows why

TAKE BITE CRUZ
"I will say, I understand the people who are supporting Donald Trump. You're angry. You're angry at Washington, you're angry at politicians who have lied to us. Who make promises and then they go to Washington and they do exactly the opposite of what they said they would. I understand being angry because you know what? I'm angry too. Everyone of us is angry at being lied to and at what they're doing to the country when they're breaking their word."

TRACK
On issue that is driving that anger is economics...and especially trade deals such as the trans pacific partnership a particularly concern.
Karlyn Bowman studies public opinion surveys for the American Enterprise Institute.

TAKE POLLSTER BITE
"Issues like the economy and terrorism but I think what Donald Trump is offering in his make America great again is really what voters are saying is most important. They think the economy has really done very poorly and also they are very worried about our standing abroad."

TRACK
In an attempt to stop the rise of Donald Trump
the Republican establishment first backed Jeb Bush - son of old school well mannered and polite President George H-W Bush, 
then they backed Marco Rubio

TAKE BITE - SANFORD
"Someone who can unify the party! If we nominate someone who one third of our party hates, we LOSE!"

TRACK
who promptly came under fire from the front-runner Donald Trump

TAKE  SOUNDBITE
"I've actually had a good relationship with Marco, believe it or not. He became hostile about two weeks ago and it didn't work. See hostility works for some people it doesn't work for everybody. Okay?"

TRACK
But Donald Trump's message is working for a key group of Republican voters:
Karlyn Bowman of AEI

TAKE BITE POLLSTER
"They are still mostly male, rather than female, they are downscale voters, overall, people with less than a college education, lower levels of income these are the working class, these are the white working class."

TRACK
The very Americans who have been most greatly affected by the rapid tranistion of the U.S. economy away from manufacturing and toward technology and service jobs.
And yet to win the White House, the Republicans will have to come together and rally around a single candidate.
Right now that candidate looks to be the always opinionated and sometimes vulgar Donald Trump
unless something historic happens, a contested Republican convention.
And that's still possible if long-time Republicans, such as my own father, continue to support alternative candidates, such as John Kasich.
Priscilla Huff, Washington

***ENDS***