IN: "Two years ago…."
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2:26
VO #1:
Two years ago Kelvin Manurs was released from prison and regained many freedoms...but he is still subject to a state law aimed at excluding him from the democratic process... Kelvin cannot vote.
In response, he's created an organization called "Arm and Arm" aimed at changing this. They met recently at a local barbershop in Arlington Virginia.
SOT
Kelvin Maurs, Exec. Dir., Arm and Arm
"If I feel a part of an institution, an organization or a nation, I am a whole less likely to go against that institution, organization or nation."
VO
Virginia is one of three states where former felons are permanently blocked from voting.
Over the past 40 years, the prison population in the United States has increased dramatically, which prevents an estimated 5.8 million people from being able to vote this election season.
These laws impact minorities most – since their rate of imprisonment is disproportionately high compared to whites.
One in every 13 African Americans has lost the right to vote as opposed to one in every 56 non-black voters.
Barbershop owner and "Arm and Arm" group member Wein Miles says the laws are unfair.
SOT
Wein Miles, Barbershop Owner
"The problem that I have, especially with the voting rights, is that I am a convicted felon. I changed my life around, I am positive, I have a barbershop.. I am an owner now, and I can't vote to this day.
VO
Virginia's governor Terry McAuliffe has made it a personal campaign to get ex-offenders back in voting booths.
He has been extending individual pardons to ex offenders ever since the State's Supreme court rejected his effort to restore voting rights to re entering citizens.
Arm and Arm organizer Licia White is among those who has re gained the right to vote.
SOT
Licia White, Arm and Arm organizer
"I am 38 years old and this is going to be the first time I am going to vote."
VO
Virginia is a so-called "swing state" – where competition between Republican and Democratic candidates is fierce.
This means, the votes of felons could tip the balance, and help decide who ends up in the White House.