Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Giving Black Women Better Artistic Representaton

Worldwide, artists of color are renewing calls for diversity -- with
many using their talents to partner with long-loved brands to bring
more color to mainstream media. American artist, Debra Cartwright's
illustrations feature women of color in a range of different styles.
Based in Harlem, New York, Debra helped bring more inclusivity to a
recent McDonald ad campaign.

Mimi Chiahemen reports from New York

IN: "Afros..."
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2:35

AIR: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-air.mp3
ARN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-arn.mp3
FM4: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-fm4.mp3
ICRT: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-icrt.mp3
NIGERIA: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-von.mp3
RNZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-rnz.mp3
VATICAN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-vat.mp3
ZIZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-ziz.mp3
GENERIC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-gen.mp3
938: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-938.mp3
SABC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0413-artisticdiversity-mc-sabc.mp3

{TAKE PKG}

VO1:
Afros of all curl patterns adorn the heads of Deb Cartwright's painted women --their images throughout her home studio, created out of the African American artist’s desire to see women  like herself,  revered

SOT - Debra Cartwright, Illustrator
I was frustrated with a lot of the beauty images that were presented and I definitely wanted to go natural with my hair. So I started illustrating these women to encourage me to do that


VO2:
So Deb set out to challenge the kind of mainstream narratives that she feels reduce black women to narrow tropes


SOT - Deb Cartwright, Illustrator
I wanted to give us our femininity back, I wanted to give us our vulnerability back, I wanted to make us whimsical, happy light, there’s this heaviness over black women a lot of times and I’m tired of it ...


VO3:
And she's not the only one, with renewed pro-black, and pro-diversity movements growing around the US, Deb’s in good company


SOT - Debra Cartwright, Illustrator
I think this climate now has been great for coming together in discussions more than it’s ever been in history because we are so connected through social media to be honest. . And because we can have these discussions, people can say, like I feel the same way,  this has happened to me too, we’re realizing there’s issues not just in my community but in all society.

VO4:
Seizing this socio-political  moment, Deb recently traded the hustle of a corporate job in bustling downtown Manhattan, to focus on her work in the serenity of her home studio in Harlem, a neighborhood long synonymous with black culture from the historic jazz scene to the great thinkers of the Harlem Renaissance, a legacy that still stands, and Debra says it inspires her everyday

VO5:
So the women she paints,  are women she sees ..they look like her she says, and that speaks volumes

SOT - Debra Cartwright, Illustrator
I’m totally inspired by the community itself like being able to walk around and seeing so many beautiful black women and see our hair like this is not you know an anomaly at all .

VO6 :
And she hopes her images inspire a similar sense of belonging for other black women in the often homogenous world of name-brand advertising

SOT - Debra Cartwright. Illustrator
So the ideal situation  would be to paint very fashionable, very beautiful, very light images of black women for representation for these names that we’ve grown up with

VO7:
With a successful McDonald's campaign for Essence magazine already under her belt ... the future for Deb is sure to be colorful

SOC

ENDS