Jeb Bush, the brother of former President George W Bush, says he's actively exploring the possibility of seeking the US Presidency in 2016.
If he wins the Republican Party's nomination and goes on to secure the White House, he would become the third member of the Bush family to serve in the Oval Office.
Our Washington Correspondent Simon Marks reports.
IN: "The news…."
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2:53
AIR: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-air.mp3
ARN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-arn.mp3
FM4: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-fm4.mp3
GENERIC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-generic.mp3
ICRT: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-icrt.mp3
NIGERIA: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-von.mp3
RNZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-rnz.mp3
SRN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-srn.mp3
VATICAN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-vat.mp3
ZIZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/1216bushpkg-sm-ziz.mp3
TRX:
The news, when it came, was released on social media.
Jeb Bush…the former Governor of Florida…the son and brother of two former Presidents…turning to Twitter…..
…and telling the world he will "actively explore" the possibility of running for the Presidency.
That is not quite the same as saying he IS running…but it does allow him to start raising money and it is a stark turnaround.
Just 6 months ago the Bush family indicated to would-be advisers that there would be no Presidential run.
But that was before Americans went to the polls in November's Congressional elections and delivered victory to the Republicans, breathing new life into their hopes of securing the White House.
AXX GOLDMACHER SOUNDBITE
"I mean I think there's no question that the 2014 midterms went really well for Republicans and for pretty much every Republican considering running for President it was a reason to look more seriously at it".
TRX
Jeb Bush is comfortable not only speaking Spanish…but as a former Governor of Florida and husband of a Latino American….reaching Hispanic voters as well.
They will be a key constituency in 2016…and Jeb Bush will hope that like other Americans they're attracted to his brand of moderate conservatism.
His biggest obstacle may be his surname, and the controversies voters associate with the two previous occupants of the White House named Bush.
On the streets of New York…..many voters told us they're not sure they're ready for another one in the Oval Office.
TAKE VOX POPS1
"Jeb Bush? Seriously? Another Bush? Not much!"
TAKE VOX POP 2
"I think it's time for a big change, and you know three people from the same family with the same guys, it might be too much. I think we need new direction in this country"
TAKE VOX POP 3
"I think it's safe to say that I will not be voting for Jeb Bush"
TRX In other parts of the country where voters are less reluctant to back Republicans…there was muted enthusiasm….on the streets of Seattle.
TAKE VOX POP1
"Some of the things are appealing about Jeb Bush, but all in all I think there are better candidates out there".
TRX And in Denver.
TAKE VOX POP 1
"I would be open minded about another Republican candidate, but I don't know if I necessarily would be open to another Bush in the White House. I think we've seen what happens and can probably do better.
TRX As for the putative candidate…he's previously set these terms for deciding whether to seek the nation's highest office or not.
TAKE BUSH SOUNDBITE (Super: Jeb Bush, Former Governor - Florida)
"It's gonna be a decision about family, and I'm going to do it joyfully".
TRX
Jeb Bush's announcement sent Washington into a frenzy, and is being widely seen as the first salvo in the race for the White House.
Conventional wisdom says he'll be facing Hillary Clinton in the battle to succeed Barack Obama.
But we're two years out…and it's not yet clear that Americans truly yearn for either another Bush or another Clinton in the Oval Office.
SOC