As the United States celebrates Thanksgiving with feasts and food, millions of Americans remain food insecure.
Many of those who go hungry are working, at a time when policy proposals are lacking.
Our U.S. correspondent Priscilla Huff reports:
IN: "The American
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2:01
****
TRACK
The American holiday of Thanksgiving is about traditions
watching football, taking naps on the sofa, and American presidents have one as well
TAKE TRUMP
in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will grant a presidential pardon to a turkey.
TRACK
Thanksgiving is most especially about food.
Stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and pie - whether the preference is for apple, pumpkin or pecan
And thanksgiving is about gratitude
U.S. President Donald Trump
TAKE TRUMP
I'd also like to express my thanks to the wonderful citizens of our country -- the people who care for our communities, raise America's children, uphold our laws and our values, and make this amazing land into our national home.
TRACK
But gratitude can be scare for some
42 million Americans are food insecure
In the American capital city
5,000 are fed at a giant Thanksgiving feast held in the convention center.
Beth Goldberg is the community relations manager for Safeway, a local grocery chain.
TAKE BETH
"We have so many neighbors in need and this is an opportunity not only for us to give back, but for us to celebrate with people who might not otherwise be able to do so."
TRACK
For some, it's an opportunity to come together, while for others, its about a delicious meal.
TAKE VOXES
"A nice thanksgiving, and you see, I like, I'm glad they have it because some people don't have familes, so, they don't be able to have it like this. so like I said, it's good for fellowshipping.
"The food is wonderful! I had like 3 plates! it was wonderful! 3 plates!"
TRACK
The latest surveys of hunger in major American cities find the problem isn't jobs - many of those who are food insecure are working - its wages and the cost of nutritious food.
So while the Trump family is donating two turkeys to Martha's Table, a soup kitchen in Washington DC,
it's unclear if U-S President Donald Trump has a policy proposal to address the unresolved issue of American citizens without enough food.
Priscilla Huff, Washington
***ENDS***