People in Tanzania are taking part in the ' cashless challenge': going without cash for a month and using digital payments instead. It was invented by technology consultant Jones Mrusha, who says the benefits for both businesses, and consumers could be huge. Our reporter Lucy Taylor followed him for a day.
IN: Whether you have...
OUT: SOC
DUR: 1:55
***
Whether you have a lot of it, or not enough of it
At some point we all fall back on the cash in our wallets.
But can you imagine life without it?
Tanzanian tech expert Jones Mrusha believes we should move to digital payments.
So he's invented the cashless challenge:
Could you live for a month without cash?
Buying fuel is easy - he pays by card.
JONES MRUSHA: 'This way I can be assured that I actually contributed to the tax! But in terms of speed of payments, this is way easier, I don't have to sit around and wait for change.'
Driving away, he says going digital will help development.
JONES MRUSHA: 'My super ambitious goal is that in another five years I should be able to comfortably live and never carry cash for anything else apart from maybe small donations and contributions.'
The challenge right now is that hardly any Tanzanians have bank accounts or credit cards.
But they do have mobile money - financial transactions run over the phone network.
ATMOS
Jones stops to buy fruit from a street vendor.
And this trader Ayoub Ezekiel already uses mobile money.
AYOUB EZEKIEL, TRADER: I have two, two my customers pay for mobile money
REPORTER: So two of your customers pay with mobile money and everyone else pays with cash?
AYOUB EZEKIEL, TRADER: Yes. All they pay, I have happy. Because they pay, they pay money.
REPORTER: As long as they pay, you're happy!
Jones says it is good for businesses and consumers.
JONES MRUSHA: 'So for the last 15 days I can track my payments, seeing what and where I pay, vis a vis before the cash was just flowing out of my pocket without me knowing where I spent it.'
So even though everybody wants more money. These campaigners believe there may be more value in getting rid of it.