Thursday, January 19, 2017

PKG: A profile of Donald Trump and his road to the White House

INTRO:

Against all the odds and the predictions of most pundits, Donald Trump will become the 45th president of the United States on Friday.

So how did he get here and what kind of president will he be?

Kate Fisher reports

IN: It was June

OUT: SOC

DUR: 2'44"


SCRIPT:
VO:
It was June 2015 that Donald Trump stood in one of his New York Skyscrapers to announce his run for president:

UPSOT PRESIDENT-ELECT TRUMP:

"and we are going to make our country great again"

VO: A little over a year later he accepted the Republican presidential nomination but that didn't stop the controversy.

UPSOT PRESIDENT ELECT TRUMP:

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me. And I build them very inexpensively. I will build a great wall on our southern border and I will have Mexico pay for that wall, mark my words."

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on."

"you gotta see this guy. I don't know what I said, I don't remember. He said "I don't remember..duh...maybe that's what I said.'

"I moved on her actually, you know she was down in Palm Beach. I moved on her and I failed, I'll admit it. I did try and I did try and **** her, she was married."

VO: 

So how did a man who apparently offended so many people - win a presidential election?

"The rules didn't apply to him"

James Kirchick from the Foreign Policy Initiative

because he had a career as a reality television show host and a celebrity. It didn't seem out of the ordinary for him to behave this way. And I think the mistake we made as journalists and analysts was thinking that the american people would delineate the difference between the behaviour necessary for being a celebrity and the behavior necessary for being president of the united states."

Meredith Sumpter from the Eurasia Group's Asia director believes his message resonated with many Americans who've felt disillusioned in a globalized economy.

"The election of Donald trump is really a reflection of the feelings of many Americans mostly in rural areas who feel disconnected from where the US econ was heading and who had not necessarily seen opportunity coming their way"

VO:

It's impossible to predict what a Donald trump presidency will look like but it seems his difficult relationship with the media will continue. There was no love lost at his first press conference as president-elect.

UPSOT PRESIDENT ELECT TRUMP:

"Don't be rude, don't be rude, no I'm not gonna give you a question, I'm not gonna give you a question. You are fake news. Go ahead."

STAND-UP: Kate Fisher, Washington

Well the Trump presidency will go ahead from midday Friday here on the US east coast. 

When the staging comes down - what kind of white house will emerge? And what kind of country will Donald Trump's America become?

Kate Fisher, Washington.