A United Nations report argues the US government's policies are making
poverty in America worse.
It found 40 million people - more than 12% of the population - are
living in poverty.
It's a charge the US administration has harshly criticized.
Nick Harper reports from New York.
IN: "Youth..."
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2'24
AIR: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-air.mp3
ARN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-arn.mp3
FM4: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-fm4.mp3
GENERIC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-gen.mp3
ICRT: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-icrt.mp3
NIGERIA: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-von.mp3
938LIVE: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-938.mp3
RNZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-rnz.mp3
VATICAN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-vat.mp3
ZIZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-ziz.mp3
SABC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0913poverty-nh-sabc.mp3
PKG
TAKE VO
Youth poverty, infant mortality, income inequality - the UN report
found the US has the highest rates in the developed world. All of it
adding up to 40 million people living in poverty.
TAKE VO
The food pantry at the LSA Family Health Service in East Harlem offers
a step up to those who are struggling. Helping around 2,000 families a
month, it provides assistance to some of New York's most vulnerable.
SOT - Maireny Delecruz, Volunteer
"I came here the first time because I needed food. I have obtained
many benefits because I have learned many things from my co-workers,
they have taught me a lot, I have learned something from each of
them."
TAKE VO
The center also offers after-school programs - a lifeline for many
working parents in the community.
But the center recognizes its work doesn't solve all the problems.
SOT - Ray Lopez, Director of Programs, LSA Family Health Service
"It's covering a symptom. It's not a sustainable solution. But it's
what we're able to do now as an organization in a community like
this."
TAKE VO
But the fact the UN report focused specifically on problems here in
America has ruffled feathers.
The US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, called the investigation
"politically motivated" and "patently ridiculous".
TAKE VO
But some poverty experts believe the report should not be so easily dismissed.
SOT - Jonathan Morduch, Professor of Public Policy and Economics, New
York University
"I think it's patently ridiculous to describe the report as patently
ridiculous. The report is accurate. You can argue what to do about it
but I think the facts on the ground are the facts."
TAKE VO
Morduch argues the idea of America being a 'land of opportunity' no
longer rings true as the gap between rich and poor continues to widen.
And the UN report concludes change is unlikely to come from the top.
The authors identified the Trump administration was enacting policies
that removed "basic protections from the poorest" while simultaneously
implementing tax cuts which "overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy and
worsened inequality".
SOC
ENDS