Wednesday, February 14, 2018

African Children's Choir helps educate thousands

The African Children's Choir has been performing for more than thirty
years, during which time it's helped educate ten of thousands of
children across Africa.

Its founder was inspired to help a generation of children, and saw
music as the perfect way to do it.

The members of the choir raise money to put themselves through school
as well as thousands of other children.

Since 1984 some of the Continent's poorest children have been helped
in South Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan, Nigeria, Ghana.

Nick Harper reports from North Haven, Connecticut.

IN: [Music] & "Changing..."
OUT: SOC
DUR: 2:47


AIR: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-air.mp3
ARN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-arn.mp3
FM4: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-fm4.mp3
GENERIC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-gen.mp3
ICRT: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-icrt.mp3
NIGERIA: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-von.mp3
938LIVE: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-938.mp3
RNZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-rnz.mp3
VATICAN: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-vat.mp3
ZIZ: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-ziz.mp3
SABC: http://www.fsnradionews.com/feeds/0214choir-nh-sabc.mp3


- natsound music -
Changing lives through the power of song.

- natsound music -
This choir of almost 20 children, aged between 7 and 10 are some of
Africa's most vulnerable children.

- natsound music -
The African Children's Choir is made up of youngsters, some of whom
have lost parents due to conflict or disease.
They've been chosen because of their love of music. And for the fact
they weren't able to go to school, or join a choir.
Christine and Jethro, both nine-years-old and from Uganda are enjoying
life on tour.

SOT - Christine, African Children's Choir: "I enjoy the food and I
enjoy dancing."
SOT - Jethro, African Children's Choir: "I've enjoyed seeing the tall
buildings because in Uganda we have no tall buildings."

-natsound music -
Tour Leader Amy Berry is spending the next nine months touring the US
with the choir. She thinks it helps to change perceptions of Africa.

Amy Berry, Tour Leader, African Children's Choir
"It really is a moving experience. And also as we are able to stay in
host homes while we're traveling as well, they get to know the
children and get to know their hearts and it does help I think with
the stereotypes of Africa."

-natsound music -
For more than 30 years the Choir, made up of children from several
African nations, have been heard the world over.
In the past the Choir has performed at the United Nations, the
Pentagon, the White House, and Buckingham Palace.
The choir started in 1984 after its founder met a young boy, who loved
singing, who'd been orphaned by civil war in Uganda.
Each year new children are chosen to join the choir.
Timothy Kawume and Alice Nambooze were in the choir in 2000.
This year they've returned to the US to help the choir newest members.
They know first hand the changes the choir can bring.

Timothy Kawume, Former African Children's Choir member
"Touring as a child just grew my perspective about life. I learned how
to dream bigger because traveling on the road I met so many different
people, different occupations, I learned to dream."

Alice Nambooze, Former African Children's Choir member
"Without the choir I honestly don't know how far I would have gone in
school. It was a life changing opportunity, just being able to travel
around the world and meet so many nice people, caring people."

Both Timothy and Alice have gone on to attain university degrees.
Indeed, since it started the Choir has educated over 52,000 children.
And it's provided assistance to 100,000 others throughout Africa.

-natsound music -
One child at a time, the choir says it's helping Africa's children,
giving them an education, so they can go on to help Africa.
SOC

ENDS